Master of Landscape Architecture I
- The priority application deadline was January 15. We will accept second round applications through February 28.
- Applications to the Master of Landscape Architecture program are processed by the Graduate School of the University of Minnesota. All application materials are submitted to the Graduate School including the Portfolio.
- Applicants with degrees in related design professions such as architecture should clearly indicate in their personal statement an interest in receiving evaluation for advanced standing in design.
- Baccalaureate degree in arts, humanities, sciences, environmental studies, or engineering.
- A GPA greater than 3.0 [on 4.0 scale] is preferred.
- International Applicants must be proficient in English [see language requirements below].
- Graduate School Application Form (online)
- Unofficial transcripts of all college or university coursework. Official transcripts should only be sent to the Graduate School if specifically requested.
- Two (2) essays required by The Graduate School. (A personal statement and a statement of diversity).
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. We strongly recommend that two of the three letters are from faculty members who are familiar with your academic work.
- Portfolio. Please see below for more details.
- The portfolio must be a PDF in 8.5 x 11 format. No slides, printed, or loose materials will be accepted. Do NOT send hard copies.
- Submit the portfolio before the admissions deadline.
- Identify your portfolio with your name and contact information.
- Upload the portfolio to ISSUU.COM. You will need to create a publisher account to use this site. This is a free service.
- Please use your complete name to register at ISSUU as this generates the web link to your portfolio.
- Please enter the link to your portfolio in the online application form in the section titled "Link to Portfolio".
Your portfolio should be a reflection of who you are currently and should showcase work you are most proud of. Your portfolio can include photographs, drawings, things you've written (poetry), ceramics, etc. It should highlight your creativity and interests.
Other Admissions Information
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE Scores). The GRE is not required for the MLA program, but many scholarships require a GRE score. The UMN-Twin Cities Graduate School code is 6874.
- International Applicants must submit TOEFL scores from one of the four English language tests. You must have a minimum score of 600 [TOEFL paper]; 80 [TOEFL internet]; 6.5 [IELTS test]; or, 80 [MELAB test] to qualify for the MLA.
- Please contact Janaya Martin for additional information regarding the admissions process.