Applying for Admission
Each academic program has specific admissions requirements and procedures. Please review the information below for each program’s specific process.
Undergraduate Admission - Bachelor of Environmental Design
The application process for undergraduate admission is handled centrally through the University’s Office of Admissions, please visit their website for specific application instructions and requirements.
Graduate Admission - MLA and MSLA
Application requirements are the same for each of the graduate degree programs offered in the Department of Landscape Architecture. In order to ensure timely review of your application, please be sure to include all items listed below.
- Applications to any Master of Landscape Architecture program are processed by the Graduate School of the University of Minnesota. All application materials are submitted directly to the Graduate School.
Baccalaureate degree in arts, humanities, sciences, environmental studies, or engineering.
A GPA greater than 3.0 [on 4.0 scale] is preferred.
International Applicants must be proficient in English [see language requirements below].
The application deadline is January 15.
- Complete the Graduate School Application Form (online)
- Unofficial transcripts of all college or university coursework. *Official transcripts should only be sent to the Graduate School if specifically requested. International students must follow Graduate School policy.
- Two (2) essays (personal statement and a diversity statement).
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. We strongly encourage you to submit two (2) letters from former faculty members who are familiar with your academic work.
- Portfolio. Please see below for more details.
The portfolio must be a PDF in 8.5 x 11 format. No slides, printed, or loose materials will be accepted. Be sure to submit the portfolio before the admissions deadline.
- Upload the portfolio to ISSUU.COM. You will need to create a publisher account to use this site. This is a free service.
- Please use your complete name to register at ISSUU as this generates the link to your portfolio.
- Identify your portfolio with your name and contact information.
- Enter the link to your portfolio in the online application form in the section titled “Link to Portfolio”.
Other Admissions Information
The GRE is not required for the MLA program, but many scholarships outside of the department require a GRE score. The UMN Twin Cities Graduate School code is 6874.
International Applicants must submit TOEFL scores from one of the four English language tests. To qualify for graduate study in our department, you must have a minimum score of:
- 600 [TOEFL paper]
- 86 [TOEFL internet]
- 6.5 [IELTS test]
- 80 [MELAB test]
Applicants with undergraduate degrees in related design professions, such as architecture, should clearly indicate in their personal statement an interest in being evaluated for advanced standing.
Most applicants will receive an admissions decision 4–6 weeks after the application deadline. Applicants will be notified of the decision by email as soon as they are available.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or any of the requirements listed, please contact the Graduate Program Specialist.